Clearpol's Opinion of this Guidance as of 09/01/2022
This notifies SNFs and all health facilities that the National Weather Service has issued Level II Excessive Heat Warnings for California. These Heat Warnings are in effect now through 8:00 p.m., Tuesday, September 6, with much of California at high risk for widespread, continuous triple-digit temperatures.
· SNFs must implement recommended precautionary measures to keep individuals safe and comfortable during extremely hot temperatures and must have contingency plans in place to deal with the loss of air conditioning, or in the case when no air conditioning is available, take measures to ensure residents are free of adverse conditions that may cause heat-related health complications.
· SNFs must report extreme heat conditions that compromise resident health and safety and/or require an evacuation, transfer, or discharge of residents.
CDPH reminds SNFs that the elderly and other health compromised individuals are more susceptible to temperature extremes and possible dehydration. Facility administrators should monitor weather predictions for fluctuations in extreme temperatures and take extra precautions to be sure appropriate air conditioning equipment is well maintained and operating effectively.
Facilities should use portable fans and other temporary cooling devices when indicated.
CDPH recommends facilities review Fast Facts: Preventing Summer
• Dress in lightweight, loose-fitting clothing
• Keep residents well hydrated with particular attention to dependent residents
• Minimize physical activities during the hottest parts of the day
• Stay indoors and out of the sun during the hottest parts of the day
• Use fans as indicated in the "Fast Facts" page on preventing summer heat injuries
• Open windows where feasible if screens are intact, to allow fresh air to circulate
• Use cool compresses, misting, showers, and baths to promote cooling
• Avoid hot foods and heavy meals
• Encourage frozen treats such as "popsicles" between meals
• Keep a hydration station readily available to residents, family, and staff
• Be alert to adverse changes in patient and resident conditions that may be heat related
• Develop and implement a system to monitor hydration status and be prepared to take appropriate interventions
• Pay special attention to patients with medications that make the patient susceptible to high temperatures, e.g., psychotropic medications
While implementing these measures, continue to follow the latest COVID-19 guidance from the CDC.
Clearpol Inc. does not make any guarantees regarding the accuracy of the opinions provided on our platform. Please use your own judgement.
Clearpol's Summary of this Guidance
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has issued an All Facilities Letter (AFL) to notify healthcare facilities of the Level II Extreme Heat Alert issued by the National Weather Service for California from August 31 to September 6, 2022. Facilities must implement recommended precautionary measures to keep individuals safe and comfortable during extremely hot temperatures and must have contingency plans in place to deal with the loss of air conditioning. Facilities must also report extreme heat conditions that compromise patient health and safety and/or require an evacuation, transfer, or discharge of patients. The AFL provides guidelines for reporting such occurrences and recommends measures to keep residents and clients comfortable during extremely hot weather, such as dressing in lightweight, loose-fitting clothing, keeping residents well-hydrated, minimizing physical activities during the hottest parts of the day, using fans, and avoiding hot foods and heavy meals. Healthcare providers and facilities should continue to follow the latest COVID-19 guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and CDPH AFLs.
Clearpol Inc. does not make any guarantees regarding the accuracy of the opinions or summaries provided on our platform. Please use your own judgement.
Need an updated Extreme heat Policy & Procedure set?
You have 0 new tasks available
Below are AI generated tasks related to this document. Accept or deny a task.
No suggested tasks available at the moment!
AI generated tasks related to this document are shown here. Tasks may be coming soon or you may have accepted/denied all the available tasks for this document.
The document is ready to print
Click below to print the document in a new window. When finished, you can return to this tab to continue.
Copy Document Link
Please enter a Name.
Please enter a valid email address.
Please enter a first name.
Please enter a last name.
Please enter a valid email address.